Friday, July 4, 2008

Purple Moorhen



So far I have been Pretty irregular with my blog posts and I have decided to change this now. For the next 2 months at least I will be regularly posting at a frequency of 3-4 posts per week.
This hen sized clumsy bird has a purplish body with red legs and toes. I photographed this bird at Lalbagh lake in Bangalore.
A Purple Moorhen spends a lot of time within a vegetation consisting of marshy reeds and overgrown rushes and could be hard to spot; the first indication of this bird will be its bobbing head within the vegetation. During courtship the male holds water weeds in its beak and bows to the female with loud chuckles. The bird feeds on vegetable matter, shoots, insects and mollusks.
Found all over the subcontinent.
sony h-7; f/4.5 , 1/250 sec, ISO-80

3 comments: