Saturday, September 7, 2013

Black Tailed Godwit.

This was a chance sighting at Vasai, nearly a year ago. I got the word that Flamingos had arrived at a field in Vasai (East). I packed up my gear and went in hoping for some good close up photographs. Rather than Flamingos, ( which eventually arrived later) I was surprised to find a big group of Black Tailed Godwits. These near threatened species are migratory birds in India.

I got down into some marshy water, leveled my tripod and started clicking. The birds were quite far, even to the reach of my 400mm lens. But as they foraged on field snails, they kept coming closer and closer to me, oblivious to my presence.


A noisy, truck which had some festival revelers, playing loud blaring music finally scared them off. I wonder, what is the point of having loud music during festivities, its only noise and noise- blaring jarring noise.  The name Godwit, comes from two words God and wit.wit mean 'knows'. So just like the name, the answer to my question probably is 'Godwit'

No comments:

Post a Comment