Friday, March 27, 2009

Spotted Munia


These Spotted Munias (Lonchura punctulata) were foraging on the ground, when I slowly tried to approach them. Though I thought I was quiet, they spotted me and with loud chirps flew onto a nearby bamboo grove, this is a typical behaviour for this bird. Its only when they flew, I realised that there were not 3 or 4 but about 30 to 35 birds together. This tiny bird measuring about 10 cm is also called scaly breasted Munia and loves light vegetation and a diet of flying termites. When termites are not to be found then they live on grass seeds and hence mostly found foraging close to the ground.
I could not get any close up photograph of the bird, but will be hopefully lucky next time.
Camera: Sony A350, 200mm lens, ISO 100, f/5.6 . RAW format image.

5 comments:

  1. Very nnice! Where did you photograph these? I saw my first munias at Bharatpur earlier this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had two of these birds at my feeder this morning. I live in Pensacola, Florida

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a cool... check out my site at http://www.geothermalquestions.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had three of these birds on my feeder this evening. Have seen two for the last couple of months. We are in the Scenic and Langley area of Pensacola, FL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw two of these birds on the feeder 11/15/2010 a 11:00am. Located at Hyde Park and Conway Dr. in Pensacola. I was trying to identify the bird and found this post. They stayed on the feeder for a long time and got a fair picture of them.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete